Lack of sleep plagues over 30% of the American population with more than 10 million people turning to prescription sleep aids for relief.
A study in the Journal of Clinical Sleep Medicine discovered that 40% of people suffering from insomnia also experienced some type of psychiatric disorder. Lack of sleep can wreak havoc on the body, affecting many major systems and your overall health and wellbeing.
Initial research into CBD shows that it holds promise in promoting healthy sleep. There are many studies that go into detail about how dissatisfied (50% of those on prescription sleep medication) traditional medicine takers are with their results. This is in direct to comparison with approximately 80% satisfaction rate of those who use Cannabis based natural sleep remedies like Extended Release Capsules or a high concentration, sublingual application of Raw Extract Hemp Oil.
But how does CBD accomplish this?
Stress can be a killer when it comes to sleep. If you're stressed out, it can be hard to fall asleep, stay asleep, and wake up in the morning.
One study found that more than half of Americans said that they'd lost sleep due to stress. If you've been missing out on sleep because of stress, CBD may be a successful sleep aid for you.
A study in the British Journal of Pharmacology discovered that CBD interacts with serotonin receptors in the brain. Another study found that the stimulation of serotonin receptors could promote healthy sleep. By stimulating serotonin receptors in the brain, CBD holds the potential to promote a sound and restful sleep. CBD also holds the potential to stabilize your sleep cycle. The sleep cycle follows a pattern of alternating between REM and NREM sleep. 25% of sleep should be REM sleep. Eye movements become rapid and the brain looks similar to how it does while we're awake. The other 75% of sleep is NREM, which is essential for memory, hormone release, and cell production and repair. A lack of NREM sleep can be extremely detrimental to your health. CBD has been shown to prolong the third phase of NREM sleep, the phase in which we experience the deepest and most restorative sleep.
Blood pressure drops, muscles become relaxed, blood supply to muscles increases, tissue growth and repair occurs and hormones are released.
By prolonging this key phase of sleep, CBD can promote healthy and restorative sleep. CBD's main role in the body is promoting a healthy and balanced endocannabinoid system.
The endocannabinoid system permeates all 11 major physiological systems of the body. It is often described as the meta system of the body, interacting with all of these systems while also governing them. The endocannabinoid system aids in regulating almost every single aspect of our wellbeing.
A study published in PLOS discovered that regulating the endocannabinoid system improves the stability of NREM sleep. By activating the CB one receptor, one of the main components of the endocannabinoid system, scientists were able to increase the stability of NREM sleep and improve overall sleep quality.
The same group of scientists found that when they blocked endocannabinoid receptors, they were able to reduce the amount of NREM sleep and increase the number of sleep interruptions.
CBD increases the availability of the body's own endocannabinoids, which are responsible for stimulating CB1 receptors. Because of this, it stands to reason that CBD could encourage the ability of your endocannabinoid system to stabilize sleep.
CBD is also different from many other sleep aids. Rather than increasing sleepiness immediately upon consumption, CBD helps to promote a healthy and normal sleep cycle. A study published in current neuropharmacology discovered that CBD could promote wakefulness when taken during the day, meaning that it could help people that felt sleepy, feel more alert and awake.
CBD appears to help those who have trouble falling asleep and also those that feel sleepy during the day. One of the best ways to achieve this is through a daily CBD regimen. The research shows CBD interacts with our sleep cycles in a complex way, that includes mitigating stress, prolonging essential NREM sleep cycles, and stabilizing sleep patterns.
For the 10 million Americans that suffer from sleep issues, CBD oil may offer wonderful benefits that promote a healthy and stable sleep cycle. CBD helps improve sleep by reducing stress, extending and stabilizing the third phase of the NREM sleep cycle, and by stimulating CB1 receptors.
However, not all CBD oils are created equally. To ensure you’re getting the most benefits out of a CBD product, here are a few things to look out for:
At botanCBD, all of our products are produced to this standard to ensure the best quality and most effective CBD products. All of our products are also 100% organic and non-GMO, sourced directly from our farms in Kentucky – all the way to you.